Chasing a faster me

Tuesday 8 January 2013

MPIB Run 2013 - Larian Hangus!

After a back to back hills/rolling terrains i.e. Malakoff KL 2012 and this MPIB 2013, I am now know one important element that I need to improve further and emphasis more in my 2013 running adventure.

The hills lahh of course!!

Aiyah..I thought after the Putrajaya Night Marathon, I could handle any hills adequately after doing the hill session at least once in a week. But my oh my, until that last Sunday's race, my body and mentally seems to have some problems adapting to the first sight of any inclines and steep roads especially if before the race, I don't prepare myself properly. But I do admit that after the flag-off of this MPIB run, I did TOO MANY mistakes. In simple and plain truth, I did almost everything that a runner SHOULD AVOID during a race..big time!!

The flag-off
Lesson Learn 1
When you know that you are going for race event the next day (in whatever distance), today is the day you should be resting properly. In my case, perhaps I should have chosen to skip this MPIB event since the traveling fatigue within 3 days before the race had taken its toll on me. From Bintulu - Kajang - Besut - KL - Kajang - Padang Merbok. I dunno about other people, but for me I think I should have plan my travel accordingly and try to avoid doing any race if I traveled/drove non-stop beforehand or maybe I should just take my time and rest properly.

Lesson Learn 2
After doing 4 - 5 races since 2012, I know now that I need to have a good sleep before starting any race especially if it's a morning race. In this MPIB run case, my baby daughter had other plans for me that whole night and I only managed to 'tidur-tidur ayam' for almost 2hours until I went out from the house at about 5am in the morning. Hahaha..priceless moment!

Lesson Learn 3
Need to fuel myself sufficiently few hours before the start of the run. But it is always my problem (especially the morning race) to find myself the most suitable snack or a quick meal for me to fuel-up. I've tried numerous options - Biskut Tiger, isotonic drinks, dates/kurma and Milo or mana2 yang sempat lah. Tapi still rasa macam tak pernah cukup dalam tank during midrace. Maybe kena sental nasi jugak kot or pasta. Need some points on your best practice here peeps..hehe..

Lesson Learn 4
I took off too fast after the flag-off!. During the first hill, I was running at 5:35 pace (for my level at least)!! and by the time I reached the 'peak', I was almost out of breath and my leg felt like I already ran past 3 to 4k. By 6k split, there's no more left in the tank and I just continue the race with a walk/jog combo until the finishing line. Itu pun dah rasa macam nak give-up..hadoi..memang betul2 hangus..

Lesson Learn 5
Never ever try to bring with you during any race, 'gadgets' that you never brought along during trainings. As for my case, I strapped my left arm with the Galaxy Note armband that is tied together with one sponsored balloon..Aiyo..At first, I thought it would be easy for me to take photos by the end of the race but before I could reach 8k split, my left arm dah rasa kebas because it was too heavy! So you add that with inner self yang dah almost nak give-up, I was even thinking just to take the Bank Negara Komuter halfway and balik terus tido.. :P

But all in all, it was a good learning experience for me as a beginner runner and to kick off this year 2013 in motion. At least I dug deep and keep on moving until I reached the finishing line especially after a Chinese guy with no left arm ran past me, so fast and furious I couldn't even get a glance at his face. A true runner spirit I would say!

Me and Najmi. his timing was 1hr 13mins! Congrats!
Nevertheless, alhamdulillah I managed to complete the race in one piece and got the finisher medal. Hoorah!!
Finisher medal and running bib

Now back to work and prepare to redeem myself again!

My official timing - 1hr 24min 45s
Share:

4 comments:

  1. Well done bro for your 1st MPIB Run this year... Hangus2 pon still managed to finish the run in one piece, injury free that's the most important... Rugi aku xdpt join run berbukit2 yang cukup mempesonakan nih...

    Try having half of banana for an instant fuel before race, energy gel pon berguna gak b4 race... keep on experimenting any food during training. For me, roti jagung Gardenia sekerat pon da cukup buat alas perut hehe...

    Tudiah, moral of the story, sila avoid lessons di atas la ye... Rest kena cukup kalo x mmg koyak la... =D Till we meet again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro for the suggestions. I might start trying the energy gel since skrg ni pun dh in training for the FM, might as well i incorporate terus slowly before and midrace/trainings.

      Hehe..

      Delete
  2. tak tau pulak route 12km ni berbukit. adoiii. 8km punya route tu not hard, bukit sikit jer. byk lesson learn, kalau dah penat berganda, ada anak kecik yg ukur jalan malam2, mmg x dpt la nk nolong.

    apapun tahniah dpt tamatkan larian, lain kali lari boleh jumpak. my next event is brooks. 10km jer pun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx bro..dalam hati pun mmg dah susah nk fokus..so, in the end, terjah jer..anyway, hope to see in Brooks..all the best jgk!

      Delete

Copyright © Ku Berlari | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com