Chasing a faster me

Wednesday 3 October 2012

The Racing Debuts (Special Beginners RW) - Part 2

Alrite..mari kita sambung dengan runners racing debut stories bahagian 2:

Lifetime of Achievement

Graham Brooks, 79, retired, Turnbridge Wells
First race - Guildford Hogsback Marathon, December 1975
" I started running in 1966 to keep fit, and it made me feel good emotionally and physically. Then I decided to run a marathon for a challenge. I ensured my training was disciplined and on the day I wasn't nervous, but excited. I did get some foot pain and chafing, but it was such a wonderful feeling knowing that you can give the run all you've got and the pain will soon be over. Back then there wasn't much fuss. Now it's all razzamatazz - drums, crowds, costumes and so forth. It can be a bit too much. I am now in my fifth decade of running.My highlight has been running two Comrade Ultras in South Africa, in my late 50s. I lost my wife a few years ago and running carried me through that very sad first year. I'm not sure how else I would have coped."

Something to show off about

Nathaniel Cole, 21, project manager, Hackney, London
First race - Cancer Research 10k, Victoria Park, London, October 2010
" When I crossed the line I cried with happiness, and I knew the running bug had caught me. To celebrate I took off my top and walked home -  I'd lost so much weight in training I wanted to show my body off!"

Overcoming Fears

 Mulreann Carey-Campbell, 30, blogger and creative consultant, London
First race - Royal Parks Half, London, October 2010


" Before the race I was petrified. I can't remember being that nervous about anything. I barely slept the night before. Then I took off like the clappers, so at mile 9 I had to take a break. An old guy in the crowd saw me and walked alongside me for 15mins until I hit 10miles, then encouraged me to get going again. I mustered up what little strength I had and started running , and this old guy, who must have been in his 70s, ran alongside, then waved me on my way. It got me really choked up. When I finally saw the finish I just felt elated. The closer I got, the more emotional I became. I thought about the three months i'd spent training, how I'd gone from someone who wouldn't even run a bus to being a few feet away from finishing a half marathon. Crossing the line was one of the best feelings I've ever had."

 New Perspective

Kirstie Byrne, 42, teacher, Shoreham, Kent
First race - 5k Race for Life, Brighton, 1993.

" I felt emotional reading the cards everyone's backs at Race For Life. One girl was running to celebrate overcoming cancer, and that motivated me -  if she was able to run after all she'd been through, I knew I could too."
to be continued..
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Ku Berlari | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com